ASI. The world's leading surf and paddle education and accreditation organisation.
This is a 1.5 day course to learn to SUP in an enclosed flat water location before paddleboarding in the sea.
Paddle effectively and safely on inland waterways and bodies of water including creeks, rivers, lakes, lagoons, estuaries and canals.
- Understand the enclosed flat water environment and the risks involved with your chosen paddling location.
- Identify SUP hazards.
- Choose a safe SUP location.
- Enter and exit the water correctly.
- Paddle effectively in standing position whilst maintaining balance.
- Paddle effectively in kneeling position whilst maintaining balance.
- Demonstrate correct method to change direction.
- Demonstrate correct paddling technique.
- Demonstrate correct wipe-out and dismount.
- Demonstrate correct SUP etiquette.
- Identify how to care for the SUP environment.
- How to pick up the board safely taking into consideration the current conditions.
- Board, leash and paddle characteristics.
- Variety of boards, paddles and leashes available (we will bring a variety of equipment to show you different shapes and sizes).
- Attaching your leash to your board and yourself.
- Demonstrate entering the water safely.
- Prone paddling, to kneeling to standing with paddle.
- Basic paddling.
- Back paddling.
- Basic turns.
- Step back pivot turn.
- Side stroke turn.
- Safe dismount from the board with paddle.